PDA

View Full Version : Sports announcers

Segismundo
04-19-2009, 07:38 PM
All right, after much ballyhoo, John Madden is officially retired. He was, in my opinion, one of the best at the height of his popularity.

In his wake, Chris Collinsworth has been anointed as Madden's successor. We'll see how he does.

Who, in your opinion, is the best sports announcer and the worst sports announcer? It can be any sport, but make sure it's someone who is nationally-known.

The best for me has to be Gary Thorne. He's excellent no matter what he does, although he specializes in hockey and baseball. I also like Verne Lundquist, but he's probably not going to be around much longer.

**** Stockton, also someone who won't be around much longer, is horrible. He can't get anything right and seems to be infatuated with the sound of his voice more than anything. Although I like this other guy otherwise, Mike Tirico should stick to golf. Next time he does the play-by-play for a Sunday night NFL game, listen to his touchdown calls. You'd think he was announcing the Second Coming each and every time someone scored a touchdown.

Cherokee
04-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I like Gary Thorne...I always enjoy Mike 'Doc' Emerick....

I hate to say...I can't stand Deb Kauffman of MSG...I know she got married but can't remember her name...she gets on my nerves sooooo much
I always loved when Robin Roberts was commentator of a sports event...she was one of my favorites....
sorry, John Madden got on my nerves....I also can't stand Joe Morgan...someone shut him up please....

Ipurr4u
04-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Madden will be missed.. for me I don't know the announcers as well as I should.. perhaps I need to do some research.. I know them by sound but not by name

Segismundo
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I like Gary Thorne...I always enjoy Mike 'Doc' Emerick....

I hate to say...I can't stand Deb Kauffman of MSG...I know she got married but can't remember her name...she gets on my nerves sooooo much
I always loved when Robin Roberts was commentator of a sports event...she was one of my favorites....
sorry, John Madden got on my nerves....I also can't stand Joe Morgan...someone shut him up please....

I loved Robin Roberts, but I don't remember her doing much game announcing. I thought she did anchor duties pretty much. But I liked her a lot. She's infinitely better than Pam Stone. Ugh...

Yeah, Joe Morgan's another one who's full of himself.

Causingtrouble
04-19-2009, 08:42 PM
I have a few that I would listen too
John Madden, Gary Thorne are a couple

worst
Greg Gumbel, Chris Collinsworth

Cherokee
04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
I loved Robin Roberts, but I don't remember her doing much game announcing. I thought she did anchor duties pretty much. But I liked her a lot. She's infinitely better than Pam Stone. Ugh...

Yeah, Joe Morgan's another one who's full of himself.

she actually did Olympic games and a few other sports...Women's basketball comes to mind....she worked for ESPN...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/story?id=128237

Segismundo
04-19-2009, 08:54 PM
worst
Greg Gumbel

Are you kidding?...If you'd said his insufferable brother Bryant, I'd agree with you. But Greg is about as knowledgeable and humble as they come.

Causingtrouble
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
which one did the NFL channel, that is the one?

Segismundo
04-19-2009, 08:59 PM
which one did the NFL channel, that is the one?

I don't know as I never got it. But Bryant did the Today show and has a show on HBO; Greg anchors the NCAA tournament and the CBS NFL broadcast.

Causingtrouble
04-19-2009, 09:06 PM
it was Bryant then, he was the worst ever to listen too

Segismundo
04-19-2009, 09:09 PM
it was Bryant then, he was the worst ever to listen too

That I believe.

After the Torino winter olympics, that putz actually went on his HBO show and complained that the world's best athletes weren't at the games because there were so few blacks. Now....just how many winter sports do they play in Africa? I swear, Al Campanis and Jimmy the Greek had nothing to do with this, yet this jackass had to grandstand about racial politics at the winter olympics.

Ipurr4u
04-19-2009, 09:11 PM
That I believe.

After the Torino winter olympics, that putz actually went on his HBO show and complained that the world's best athletes weren't at the games because there were so few blacks. Now....just how many winter sports do they play in Africa? I swear, Al Campanis and Jimmy the Greek had nothing to do with this, yet this jackass had to grandstand about racial politics at the winter olympics.

didn't you see Cool Runnings? If Jamaica can have winter sports why not Africa?

Segismundo
04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
didn't you see Cool Runnings? If Jamaica can have winter sports why not Africa?

No, I didn't, but I know of the Jamaican bobsled team.

And if they can, why don't they? (he asked rhetorically...)

Bryant's an ass...

Ipurr4u
04-19-2009, 09:17 PM
No, I didn't, but I know of the Jamaican bobsled team.

And if they can, why don't they? (he asked rhetorically...)

Bryant's an ass...

LOL... good point.. maybe they (like me) are allergic to cold weather.. hmmm?

Bryant's ass is not that grand..

frankie
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
as i know nothing of these announcers

i add this to the debate. how would it feel if it was a Female announcer , reporter commentater who was chosen as one of team of the aforementioned.

it has happened here in Soccer on the BBC, a while back , none really seemed convinced that it sounded right.
of course she did the job perfectly. and i am still desperately trying to think of her name. (her name Jaqui oatley)

Segismundo
04-19-2009, 11:18 PM
as i know nothing of these announcers

i add this to the debate. how would it feel if it was a Female announcer , reporter commentater who was chosen as one of team of the aforementioned.

it has happened here in Soccer on the BBC, a while back , none really seemed convinced that it sounded right.
of course she did the job perfectly. and i am still desperately trying to think of her name. (her name Jaqui oatley)

In the States, women are getting more and more into announcing men's events. That's fine with me, as long as they know the sport. Most often, they do. Every once in awhile, there may be one who's hired for her looks only, as was often the case when they first broke into the business, but not so much anymore. In fact, you're almost more likely to get a pretty boy who doesn't know what he's talking about instead. Or, as in the case of Magic Johnson, a person who isn't intelligible.

frankie
04-19-2009, 11:26 PM
In the States, women are getting more and more into announcing men's events. That's fine with me, as long as they know the sport. Most often, they do. Every once in awhile, there may be one who's hired for her looks only, as was often the case when they first broke into the business, but not so much anymore. In fact, you're almost more likely to get a pretty boy who doesn't know what he's talking about instead. Or, as in the case of Magic Johnson, a person who isn't intelligible.

lol

i will have to take your word on him. yes its by an large th same way it has happened here,

Segismundo
04-19-2009, 11:33 PM
lol

i will have to take your word on him. yes its by an large th same way it has happened here,

When someone who attended college pronounces the Chicago Bulls as the Chicago Buuhze...something's not right...

frankie
04-19-2009, 11:35 PM
When someone who attended college pronounces the Chicago Bulls as the Chicago Buuhze...something's not right...

is he trying just be be clever?

Segismundo
04-20-2009, 10:09 AM
is he trying just be be clever?

If you have the inclination, find a youtube of Earvin Magic Johnson, listen to the man talk and decide for yourself.

I don't think he was trying to be clever, no.

smith3
03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
Straight forward information! It really helped me a lot. Thanks buddy for that supporting info.