Thread: RIP Gary Carter

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Default RIP Gary Carter

You were a great catcher and even though I always disliked the Mets and Expos, I always admired your playing.
    Ladies Love Country Boys!!!!

I don't always drink beer, sometimes I'm at work and sometimes asleep!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

RIP "Kid"....you will always be an "86 Met to us fans.............

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Besides his baseball career (which i really know nothing about but i googled him)

Carter was an alumnus of Sunny Hills High School in Fullerton, CA.

Carter was married to his wife, Sandy, from 1975 until his death in 2012. They had three children - Christy, Kimmy and D.J., and three grandchildren. They lived in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.

His daughter Kimmy is the head softball coach at Palm Beach Atlantic[17] and was a softball catcher for Florida State from 1999-2002.[18]

Carter was an active philanthropist. Through The Gary Carter Foundation, of which Carter was the president, Carter and his staff support 8 Title I schools in Palm Beach County whose students live in poverty. Typically, these schools have 90% or more students eligible for free or reduced lunches. The Foundation seeks to "better the physical, mental and spiritual well being of children." To accomplish this, they advocate "school literacy by encouraging use of the Reading Counts Program, a program that exists in the Palm Beach County School District."

Since its inception, The Gary Carter Foundation has placed over $622,000 toward charitable purposes, including $366,000 to local elementary schools for their reading programs.

In May 2011, Carter was diagnosed with four malignant tumors in his brain after complaining of headaches and forgetfulness. Doctors confirmed that he has a grade IV primary brain tumor glioblastoma multiforme, an extremely aggressive cancer. Doctors said that it was inoperable and Carter would undergo other treatment methods to shrink his tumor.[19][20] On January 20, 2012, daughter Kimmy posted on her blog that an MRI had revealed additional tumors on her father's brain. Even as he battled an aggressive form of brain cancer, Carter did not miss Opening Day for the college baseball team he coached.[21]

Carter died on February 16, 2012 at 4:10 PM EST, having lost his battle with brain cancer. He was 57 years old.[22
    “Don’t let your mind wander, Its too little to be let out alone.”

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Causingtrouble's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Happy Holidays () - Naughty Babe Have a wonderful holiday season! - Jewel Merry Christmas CT !!!  Eat, drink and be merry! - princesspink Merry Christmas, big guy! - SpecialK Coz I can :) - BlueSapphire 
    Test..I think i bought myself an apple first!  LMAO - Beauty Happy Valentine's Day - PrincessCharming Thanks for getting it working again :) - FireFly cause I shouldn't drink the whole bottle :) - pvtdancer Happy Easter! - Jewel 
    For doing a good job! - BlueSapphire all my lingerie :) - JerseyGirl Enjoy! - BlueSapphire A box full of thank you - JerseyGirl Happy Monday. :) - SpoiledBrat 
    Merry Christmas CT and know that you are appreciated for your hard work! - princesspink Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - JerseyGirl gave an apple not a gift :)  Merry Christmas again - JerseyGirl there ya go :) - pvtdancer Thought I'd share..... - Lacee 

I knew he was in bad health and always enjoyed watching his work ethic but alwas cheered against his two teams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Being a Braves fan all my life, I hated the Mets, now I kinda cheer for them because a friend of mines son is pitching for them. I didn't dislike the expos, just wasn't a fan. But he was definitely a good player and a good guy!!!
    Ladies Love Country Boys!!!!

I don't always drink beer, sometimes I'm at work and sometimes asleep!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    They really should sell bottles here! Happy holidays! - Jewel Merry Christmas, my friend! - SpecialK Just cuz I love ya - BrainTeaser Merry Christmas sweetheart - BrainTeaser For a beautiful friend - BlueSapphire 
    Sweet like you - NotSure Some flowers to make Monday a little brighter, happy monday! - Jewel Happy Easter! - Jewel Happy Easter my friend! Hope you have a wonderful time! () - CoolHeat kisses - Siren 
    For my beautiful friend! - Lacee Just because you are so sweet - ultimate To start your day. - Causingtrouble For your sweet words - Jewel Just remembering a wonderful person..... - alex1 
    Just because...... - Lacee Have a wonderful Christmas & a Happy New Year! - princesspink Merry Christmas my sweet friend!! - Lacee Lets celebrate the New Year! - Beauty Help you unwind () - Naughty Babe 

Being a true METS fan R.I.P

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

RIP to the Kid.

I'll never forget asking for an autograph and Gary Carter hanging out with me and my dad when I was about 12. He took pictures and sat around and talked to me for like 15 minutes. By no means did he have to. But he hung out with me and talked baseball in North Jersey. I will never, ever forget that moment.

I went on to wear the gear (the Tools of Ignorance) through high school and even as a back-up in college.

From a die-hard Yankees fan, I'm gonna miss him. He was nothing but class. Another life cut way to short....
    "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra