Thread: 'Hero Dog' Without Snout Gets VIP Vet Care

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket FireFly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    No Message - PrincessCharming Merry Christmas! - Divinity sharing my cake - Causingtrouble Sorry to read your heartbroken ($ - Naughty Babe Merry Christmas - Naughty Babe 
    Just for you. :) - SpoiledBrat Happy New Year's - Causingtrouble Happy Valentines Day - Naughty Babe Just cuz - Firecat Happy Mother's Day!!! - sexylily 
    Happy birthday - Naughty Babe For you on your birthday - Firecat Hope you had a wonderful birthday. - SpoiledBrat Relax ... just do it ... x - Songbird I remember when you quit. Congrats on your 5year milestone () - Naughty Babe 
    Thanks for your help FF, you're a lil treasure ;) - junkmail Happy birthday () - Naughty Babe for what is about to happen with the upgrade - Causingtrouble for what is about to happen with the upgrade - Causingtrouble to help wake you up - Causingtrouble 
    AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FireFly Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - FireFly 

Default 'Hero Dog' Without Snout Gets VIP Vet Care

A dog that lost its snout while saving two girls in the Philippines has been taken to the United States, where vets hope to give it life-saving surgery.

Surgeons at the University of California, Davis (UC Davis) Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital have examined the dog, named Kabang, ahead of planned treatment.

The mixed-breed dog has become a celebrity in its native Philippines, after she reportedly leaped into the path of a speeding motorcycle.

The rider was apparently just about to hit two young girls - the daughter and niece of its owner - crossing a roadway in Zamboanga City, in the south west region of Mindanao.

The crash took off the dog's snout and her complete upper jaw, but vets have been unable to treat the serious injury.

A campaign to save Kabang was instigated by Karen Kenngott, a critical care nurse from Buffalo, New York, who spearheaded fundraising for the dog's care.

More than $20,000 was donated from a total of 20 countries in the online campaign to improve her quality of life.

Kabang was given a special mass, a three-hour motorcade and 300 dogs attended a "despedida" send-off ceremony before her flight to California on October 8.

UC Davis surgeons performed an hour-long assessment on Thursday and said Kabang will need at least two operations, but they are confident they can improve her condition.

The first procedure would focus on dental work and the second on repairing the gaping wound to her face.

The hospital said in a statement: "Contrary to some rumours in the media... there are no plans to fit Kabang with a 'prosthetic snout' or to replace her jaw."

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the extraordinary journey of Kabang began nearly two years ago when Rudy Bunggal, 57, discovered the then abandoned puppy in a paddy field.

It said Mr Bunggal kept the animal with the intention of fattening it up and feeding it to his family, but his daughter, Dina, 11, and niece, Princess, three, grew close to the dog.

They named her Kabang, which means "spotty" in their native Visayan language, and the dog became very protective of the girls.

Now known as "hero dog" in the Philippines, Kabang even has a website careforkabang.com to explain her injuries and help gain further funds for medical care.
    Please vote :)

Top List Ranking

Custom Igloo Builder princesspink's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Because I can now and I we would have so much fun drinking together! - Beauty You look thirsty lol - BlueSapphire Have a glass and give me the rest ... :) - Songbird Congrats on your reaching 20,000 posts - Naughty Babe to keep you awake - Causingtrouble 
    To go with our chocolate! - Beauty This is the only salty...it will have to do!  Hugz - Beauty Next Friday....take me for a ride and we'll celebrate...what...do we need a reason - alex1 Thanks for your funny post love reading them - JerseyGirl No, we don't need to have something special to celebrate......just....L'chaim'..... - alex1 
    while you enjoy the fire - JerseyGirl We don't need no stinkin lettuce! - Beauty For touching up your makeup after a smacker lol - Sloop a wee christmas gift for you lol - Sloop Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - JerseyGirl 
    Merry Christmas!!! - Antics1313 Merry Xmas () - Naughty Babe Happy New Year Sweet Friend! - Beauty to help your gut - Causingtrouble Cuz weneed a few of these and you made me smile! - Beauty 

Wow.
    Stop right there. I have your nose. If you ever want to see it again follow my instructions
    exactly. And no cops.