Thread: Long Island man faces jail for laughing too loudly in own home

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket FireFly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    No Message - PrincessCharming Merry Christmas! - Divinity sharing my cake - Causingtrouble Sorry to read your heartbroken ($ - Naughty Babe Merry Christmas - Naughty Babe 
    Just for you. :) - SpoiledBrat Happy New Year's - Causingtrouble Happy Valentines Day - Naughty Babe Just cuz - Firecat Happy Mother's Day!!! - sexylily 
    Happy birthday - Naughty Babe For you on your birthday - Firecat Hope you had a wonderful birthday. - SpoiledBrat Relax ... just do it ... x - Songbird I remember when you quit. Congrats on your 5year milestone () - Naughty Babe 
    Thanks for your help FF, you're a lil treasure ;) - junkmail Happy birthday () - Naughty Babe for what is about to happen with the upgrade - Causingtrouble for what is about to happen with the upgrade - Causingtrouble to help wake you up - Causingtrouble 
    AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - FireFly Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - FireFly 

Default Long Island man faces jail for laughing too loudly in own home

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/long-island...222718592.html

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A man from Long Island, New York, is facing up to 30 days in jail and a $500 (333 pounds) fine after a neighbour complained to police he was laughing too loudly, his lawyer said on Wednesday.

Police issued Robert Schiavelli, 41, two tickets for disturbing the peace for laughing out the window of his home in Rockville Centre on Long Island at about 6 p.m. on February 12 and February 13, his lawyer said.

Schiavelli said the neighbour regularly mocks his disability, and the best response to those taunts is laughter.

"He just ridicules me all the time and the only thing I can come up with is laughing," Schiavelli said in a telephone interview.

His lawyer, Andrew Campanelli, said his client has frequent seizures as a result of neurological impairments but denied his laugh is loud or boisterous.

"He's like a big teddy bear, he's got a low laugh," Campanelli said.

Schiavelli lives with his mother, Suzanne Schiavelli, who said in an interview on Wednesday that he had a "fairly loud" laugh.

"I think it's infectious. It's cute," she said. "When my husband died, we said to ourselves, ‘We're going to make sure to laugh every day and make the most of life.'"

Daniel O'Hanion, the neighbour who made the complaint, could not be reached for comment on Wednesday.

O'Hanion and Schiavelli live in adjacent private homes about 20 feet apart, separated by two driveways.

The Rockville Centre Police Department said they issued the summonses after receiving complaints about an ongoing pattern of noisemaking.

"On two occasions, police actually observed this individual creating a disturbance directed at neighbours and in violation of local law," police said in a statement.

Schiavelli's mother said O'Hanion often calls her son a "retard," parodies his speech and mocks his walk. Relations worsened when they had builders in to renovate their house over O'Hanion's objections, she said.

Campanelli said that a judge declined a motion to dismiss the case at a village court hearing on Tuesday.
    Please vote :)

Top List Ranking

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Causingtrouble's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Because you're a sweetheart - BlueSapphire Your lunch delivery - BlueSapphire Happy Holidays () - Naughty Babe Have a wonderful holiday season! - Jewel Merry Christmas CT !!!  Eat, drink and be merry! - princesspink 
    Merry Christmas, big guy! - SpecialK Coz I can :) - BlueSapphire Test..I think i bought myself an apple first!  LMAO - Beauty Happy Valentine's Day - PrincessCharming Thanks for getting it working again :) - FireFly 
    cause I shouldn't drink the whole bottle :) - pvtdancer Happy Easter! - Jewel For doing a good job! - BlueSapphire all my lingerie :) - JerseyGirl Enjoy! - BlueSapphire 
    A box full of thank you - JerseyGirl Happy Monday. :) - SpoiledBrat Merry Christmas CT and know that you are appreciated for your hard work! - princesspink Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - JerseyGirl gave an apple not a gift :)  Merry Christmas again - JerseyGirl 

what has this world come to.