Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

LOL no I say not!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

ROFL i'm so not surprised. i have absolutely NEVER been asked to show ID when picking up tickets and boarding passes..... it's really sad. we make people rip out their nipple rings, but give any old person their tickets *shakes head*

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For being you, thanks.. - Jewel Happy Valentine's day! - Jewel I'm offering you one now.  : ) Forgive me. - princesspink Because you have such a wonderful one, yourself. - elizabeth Happy St Pat's Day, sweetie! - elizabeth 
    Yours is made of gold () - Naughty Babe For long, summer days in the hammock. - elizabeth So we can toast! - Jewel For being all the things I said earlier! - Jewel Thank you so much ..you have a heart of gold - JerseyGirl 
    I hope you're up and running in no time () - Jewel too far for a hug, share a glass instead? - pvtdancer Just because I want to give you one () - Jewel I poured you one ;) - Jewel Happy holidays! - Jewel 
    It's  what you are to me a Treasure :) - JerseyGirl Because it's sweet, just like you () - Jewel you always make mine skip a beat - JerseyGirl you deserve a medal every day - JerseyGirl because you have touch my heart so deeply - FNC2010 

To answer the original question :

The Japanese are the better Americans ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

LOL och well who needs customs when we've got John Smeaton and the lads eh?

Flirtilicious
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
    To answer the original question :

The Japanese are the better Americans ...

I never said that!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    1. Why is it called the World Series when it's 95% an American league sport?

2. Since it is predominantly an American sport, why did the Red Sox play their first two season games of the season in Japan?
    because it's the greatest sport in the world.

and because money makes the world go round.
    ...tramps like us.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Because it is an international game...and there are international teams involved...such as the Toronto Blue Jays....

To reach out to the Japanese market....they like baseball ya know...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

1. When the world series was first started, there really wasn't any other baseball markets in the world of any stature, so they could claim that this series represented the best of the world. Since then, there has been a rise of other countries with strong baseball backgrounds (south and central america, japan, carribean, some other asian countries, etc.), so the name of world series is still valid. Although, I will give you that it should represent teams from other countries, but that is why they came up with the failed experiment of the World Baseball Classic. They are trying to duplicate the World Cup in soccer and bring in more fans through pride in their country.

2. As far as playing in Japan, there is a HUGE market there. There have been several big name asian players coming over (Ichiro in Seattle, Dice-K in Boston, etc etc.). Baseball is pretty much their national pasttime, so the $$ is there. You will find that a fair amount of players and coaches that live out their time in MLB in the states, will finish their careers in Japan. Or, some guys try to revive their careers. Exposure to the MLB to Asia = more Asian players sign with MLB teams = more media come over to watch = more advertising = more $$.. chain of events.

I would say they would do the same in other markets, but they aren't that big to be worth it. They would have to hit many smaller countries to make it worth while. The players actually get some extra $$ for playing over there to start the season.

Hope that answers it. Bottom line is exposure = $$
    I can't think of anything fancy for this signature. I really can't. I've looked at this blank box for awhile now and got nothing. So instead of writing something all knowing, witty, and possibly charming, I decided to write jibberish and make it a cool font with nice coloring to make everything think it's something really inspiring and fantastic. Suckers....

Flirtilicious
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Great answer DK....I always knew how smart you are!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Origin of the Name "World Series"
    One baseball myth that just won't die is that the "World Series" was named for the New York World newspaper, which supposedly sponsored the earliest contests. It didn't, and it wasn't.

In fact, the postseason series between the AL and NL champs was originally known as the "Championship of the World" or "World's Championship Series." That was shortened through usage to "World's Series" and finally to "World Series."

This usage can be traced through the annual baseball guides. Spalding's Base Ball Guide for 1887 reported the results of the 1886 postseason series between Chicago, champions of the National League, and St. Louis, champions of the American Association, under the heading "The World's Championship." As the editor noted, the two leagues "both entitle their championship contests each season as those for the base ball championship of the United States," so a more grandiose name was required to describe the postseason showdown between the two "champions of the United States."

But the Spalding Guide -- which, after all, was published by one of the world's largest sporting goods companies, with a vested interest in bringing baseball to other lands -- had grander ambitions. By 1890, the Spalding Guide was explaining that "[t]he base ball championship of the United States necessarily includes that of the entire world, though the time will come when Australia will step in as a rival, and after that country will come Great Britain; but all that is for the future."

This didn't happen, but the name "World's Championship Series" stuck. Reporting on the first modern postseason series, the Red Sox-Pirates battle of 1903, the 1904 Reach Guide called it the "World's Championship Series." By 1912, Reach's headline spoke of the "World's Series," while editor Francis Richter's text still referred to the "World's Championship Series." The Reach Guide switched from "World's Series" to "World Series" in 1931, retaining the modern usage through its merger with the Spalding Guide and through its final issue in 1941. The separately-edited Spalding Guide used "World's Series" through 1916, switching to "World Series" in the 1917 edition.

The Spalding-Reach Guide was replaced as Major League Baseball's semi-official annual by the Sporting News Guide, first published in 1942. The Sporting News Guide used "World's Series" from 1942 through 1963, changing to "World Series" in the 1964 edition.

Moreover, the New York World never claimed any connection with postseason baseball. The World was a tabloid much given to flamboyant self-promotion. If it had been involved in any way with sponsoring a championship series, the fact would have been emblazoned across its sports pages for months. I reviewed every issue of the World for the months leading up to the 1903 and 1905 World's Championship Series -- there's not a word suggesting any link between the paper and the series.

(revised 05-03)

Copyright 2001-02 Doug Pappas. All rights reserved.
    Originally published in the Fall 2001 issue of Outside the Lines, the SABR Business of Baseball Committee newsletter.