Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Life on other planets. Do they exist?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    baked for you my friend - JerseyGirl 

There something going on in that star system but to call a Dyson sphere is a rough call. I thing a more likely would be a cloud of comets or a broken up planet.

Satisticly speaking there should be many many planets with life in our galaxy alone. And far more planets with just life.

I still think we may find life on Mars or Europa.

I personally wonder what the reaction would be if we did find a signal from space. Decoding it unless it was ment for us would be difficult.

Radio signals that we sent out that escaped our planet and are traveling out have traveled less than 100 light years. With is not very far if someone hear that and answered to old fibers Mcgee and moly, they would half to be less than 50 light years away. Our galaxy is about 100000 light years in diameter so our signal has covered a very small distance. Then you have to look at the tech issues which have been using radio signals for about 100 years in another couple hundred years we may be using something completely diffrent. In a couple thousand years we may not really pay attention to those frequencies.. Life on our planet has been her for what 100 million years human civilization around d 6000 years, so the window where two civilizations are using the same type of communication is relatively small.

It has been less than two hundred and fifty years since the revolutionary war. Look at the difference in how things are done the difference in technology. Or the difference back then in the technology in diffrent cultures. Imagine absolutely the no contact with diffrent species diffrent resource available. The fact we haven't made contact is no surprise.

2. Likes FireFly liked this post
    Flirt in Training
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

I agree the Dyson Sphere idea is out there...but such a large shift in luminosity would indicate a massive comet cloud or truly massive gas giant. It would be amazing, but having a society with that technology so close to us is also terrifying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    baked for you my friend - JerseyGirl 

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hardcastle View Post
    I agree the Dyson Sphere idea is out there...but such a large shift in luminosity would indicate a massive comet cloud or truly massive gas giant. It would be amazing, but having a society with that technology so close to us is also terrifying.
    I have to go back and re read the data, as to the type of star. It could be a gas cloud of some kind as well such as if two Gas giants collided.
    There is a basic issue with Dyson spheres that people don't really think about. A star such as our own increases brightness about 10% ever billion years. A billion Years from now life on our planet will be extinguished. Unless we can figure out a way to fix it. I seen one studiy that suggest pushing asteroids in to near by passes that could push the earths orbit out out keeping it habitable. A Dyson sphere would be at a fixed distance from the star.

Also our magnetic field let's flares pass by with no problem. Even if you can shield your Spheres inside there no where for the solar mass to go.

As to how terrifying it is to have an advanced civilization that close, depends on how right Einstein was about the speed of light.