Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Guns Kill?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Default Can Gun Control Reduce Crime?

Gun-control advocates look at guns only as a means to harm others even though they are more often used to prevent injury. According to a 1995 study entitled “Armed Resistance to Crime: The Prevalence and Nature of Self-Defense with a Gun” by Gary Kleck and Marc Gertz, published by the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology at Northwestern University School of Law, law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year.

That means that firearms are used 60 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to shoot with criminal intent. Of these defensive shootings, more than 200,000 are by women defending themselves against sexual abuse. About half a million times a year, a citizen carrying a gun away from home uses it in self-defense. Again, according to Kleck amd Gertz, “Citizens shoot and kill more criminals than police do every year [2,819 times versus 303].” Moreover, as George Will pointed out in an article entitled “Are We a Nation of Cowards?” in the November 15, 1993, issue of Newsweek, while police have an error rate of 11 percent when it comes to the accidental shooting of innocent civilians, the armed citizens’ error rate is only 2 percent, making them five times safer than police.

Other studies give similar results. “Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms,” by the Clinton administration’s Justice Department shows that between 1.5 and 3 million people in the United States use a firearm to defend themselves and others from criminals each year. A 1986 study by Hart Research Associates puts the upper limit at 3.2 million.

Those studies and others indicate that often the mere sight of a firearm discourages an attacker. Criminologist John Lott from the University of Florida found that 98 percent of the time when people use guns defensively, simply brandishing a firearm is sufficient to cause a criminal to break off an attack. Lott also found that in less than 2 percent of the cases is the gun fired, and three-fourths of those are warning shots.

Guns stop crime

Long before those studies, history records what happened when the Cole Younger gang of eight tried to hold up the bank in Northfield, Minnesota, in 1876. They were recognized by a citizen who sounded the alarm. The gang was shot to pieces by armed civilians as they exited the bank. Two were shot dead, two wounded, and Cole Younger was captured. Jesse James and his brother Frank escaped, though Jesse was wounded. It wasn’t the police but rather armed citizens who thwarted the gang’s attempt to rob the bank.

When Pancho Villa attacked Columbus, New Mexico, in March 1916 with more than 600 men, he did so in the early morning, catching everyone by surprise. Although his men damaged a great deal of property, only 17 Americans died, 8 of whom were soldiers from a nearby army post. Because the civilians were well-armed, 94 of Villa’s men were killed and an unknown number wounded, despite the surprise attack.

As nationally syndicated columnist Thomas Sowell has pointed out, shooting sprees are usually stopped “by the arrival on the scene of other people with guns,” whether police or private individuals.

In 1997, assistant principal Joel Myrick used a gun to stop a violent teen who was shooting up his school in Pearl, Mississippi. He succeeded in preventing a massacre, but was prosecuted for having a gun within 1,000 feet of a school. (Go figure!)

more on this report can be found here:
    http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0210e.asp
    I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

2. Likes redridinghood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

The person who pulls the trigger kills and Im not going further in the debate.

----------
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

My point exactly

Quote Originally Posted by scorpiod4u View Post
    The person who pulls the trigger kills and Im not going further in the debate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

yeh but if said person didnt have a gun they cudnt pull tha bloody trigger

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Our old friend the NRA would love to have this back to the old west days. Everyone caring a gun...if you don't like what they are doing shot them.

I do believe people should be allowed to have guns. There is hunting and ranges that can be enjoyed. I do however have a problem when they sell automatic or even semi-automatic weapons. What in the world would anyone need with that? Those are weapons used to kill not sport or fun.

No matter what you do there will always be a black market...Look what happened during prohibition...there were still gin joints running and a huge black market.

VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

This country was founded on the right to own and bear arms and I do not want that right stripped away because of those that abuse that right. I do own guns myself and I can say that guns do kill.,but only when orderd to do so by their masters!

Enjoy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

no people kill people

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Technically speaking it is the bullet that does the damage.....

The gun is the weapon and the person is the force behind it....I think stupidity kills people....a gun can neither think nor make a decision...a person can....so by default the person is the problem....

solutions??...there aren't any that would lead to disarming the criminals

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Causingtrouble View Post
    but people still are killed by guns there, hmmmm
    the choice of weapon here, is the knife , especially the young far easier to conceal and of late has been prominent in the news.

----------
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

But they would find other means of harming or killing

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger50 View Post
    yeh but if said person didnt have a gun they cudnt pull tha bloody trigger