Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sports announcers

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Default Sports announcers

All right, after much ballyhoo, John Madden is officially retired. He was, in my opinion, one of the best at the height of his popularity.

In his wake, Chris Collinsworth has been anointed as Madden's successor. We'll see how he does.

Who, in your opinion, is the best sports announcer and the worst sports announcer? It can be any sport, but make sure it's someone who is nationally-known.

The best for me has to be Gary Thorne. He's excellent no matter what he does, although he specializes in hockey and baseball. I also like Verne Lundquist, but he's probably not going to be around much longer.

**** Stockton, also someone who won't be around much longer, is horrible. He can't get anything right and seems to be infatuated with the sound of his voice more than anything. Although I like this other guy otherwise, Mike Tirico should stick to golf. Next time he does the play-by-play for a Sunday night NFL game, listen to his touchdown calls. You'd think he was announcing the Second Coming each and every time someone scored a touchdown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

I like Gary Thorne...I always enjoy Mike 'Doc' Emerick....

I hate to say...I can't stand Deb Kauffman of MSG...I know she got married but can't remember her name...she gets on my nerves sooooo much
    I always loved when Robin Roberts was commentator of a sports event...she was one of my favorites....
    sorry, John Madden got on my nerves....I also can't stand Joe Morgan...someone shut him up please....

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Madden will be missed.. for me I don't know the announcers as well as I should.. perhaps I need to do some research.. I know them by sound but not by name

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    I like Gary Thorne...I always enjoy Mike 'Doc' Emerick....

I hate to say...I can't stand Deb Kauffman of MSG...I know she got married but can't remember her name...she gets on my nerves sooooo much
    I always loved when Robin Roberts was commentator of a sports event...she was one of my favorites....
    sorry, John Madden got on my nerves....I also can't stand Joe Morgan...someone shut him up please....
    I loved Robin Roberts, but I don't remember her doing much game announcing. I thought she did anchor duties pretty much. But I liked her a lot. She's infinitely better than Pam Stone. Ugh...

Yeah, Joe Morgan's another one who's full of himself.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Causingtrouble's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Have a wonderful holiday season! - Jewel Merry Christmas CT !!!  Eat, drink and be merry! - princesspink Merry Christmas, big guy! - SpecialK Coz I can :) - BlueSapphire Test..I think i bought myself an apple first!  LMAO - Beauty 
    Happy Valentine's Day - PrincessCharming Thanks for getting it working again :) - FireFly cause I shouldn't drink the whole bottle :) - pvtdancer Happy Easter! - Jewel For doing a good job! - BlueSapphire 
    all my lingerie :) - JerseyGirl Enjoy! - BlueSapphire A box full of thank you - JerseyGirl Happy Monday. :) - SpoiledBrat Merry Christmas CT and know that you are appreciated for your hard work! - princesspink 
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - JerseyGirl gave an apple not a gift :)  Merry Christmas again - JerseyGirl there ya go :) - pvtdancer Thought I'd share..... - Lacee My turn to buy the drinks, boss - junkmail 

I have a few that I would listen too
    John Madden, Gary Thorne are a couple

worst
    Greg Gumbel, Chris Collinsworth

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Segismundo View Post
    I loved Robin Roberts, but I don't remember her doing much game announcing. I thought she did anchor duties pretty much. But I liked her a lot. She's infinitely better than Pam Stone. Ugh...

Yeah, Joe Morgan's another one who's full of himself.
    she actually did Olympic games and a few other sports...Women's basketball comes to mind....she worked for ESPN...

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/story?id=128237

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Causingtrouble View Post

worst
    Greg Gumbel
    Are you kidding?...If you'd said his insufferable brother Bryant, I'd agree with you. But Greg is about as knowledgeable and humble as they come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Have a wonderful holiday season! - Jewel Merry Christmas CT !!!  Eat, drink and be merry! - princesspink Merry Christmas, big guy! - SpecialK Coz I can :) - BlueSapphire Test..I think i bought myself an apple first!  LMAO - Beauty 
    Happy Valentine's Day - PrincessCharming Thanks for getting it working again :) - FireFly cause I shouldn't drink the whole bottle :) - pvtdancer Happy Easter! - Jewel For doing a good job! - BlueSapphire 
    all my lingerie :) - JerseyGirl Enjoy! - BlueSapphire A box full of thank you - JerseyGirl Happy Monday. :) - SpoiledBrat Merry Christmas CT and know that you are appreciated for your hard work! - princesspink 
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - JerseyGirl gave an apple not a gift :)  Merry Christmas again - JerseyGirl there ya go :) - pvtdancer Thought I'd share..... - Lacee My turn to buy the drinks, boss - junkmail 

which one did the NFL channel, that is the one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Causingtrouble View Post
    which one did the NFL channel, that is the one?
    I don't know as I never got it. But Bryant did the Today show and has a show on HBO; Greg anchors the NCAA tournament and the CBS NFL broadcast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

it was Bryant then, he was the worst ever to listen too