Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Men v. Women

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Default Men v. Women

Title IX gave women more funding for sports. Since the inception of Title IX, women in this country have made tremendous strides in competitive sports, dominating some against the rest of the world.

In a few instances, women athletes have become so good that there has been talk of them competing on equal footing with men. At the collegiate level, this is possible in certain sports. Certainly Candace Parker could compete with some men in college. Same with Lisa Leslie. The Williams sisters can beat some men on the pro circuit.

But should women be allowed to compete in men's leagues at the highest level? Do you think they can?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

I say let's give it a year and see if they can.. if I can compete with men and do a better job in the mechanical field why not in sports as well.. however I do not agree that all sports hold and equal basis for men and women.. I can't see men and women physically being equal in many fields.. but see if it works.. then make a decision..

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

depends on the venue.....

I don't think a woman boxer should be facing a man
    I don't think football is appropriate or hockey
    basketball and baseball?...why not
    guess it's the contact sports I have an issue with although some women can beat a man in an arm wrestle....but wrestling in general??...not sure about that one

If a woman wants to try, then she should be able to try....

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Fair enough, ladies.

But these aren't government-run entities, or ones that rely on federal funding. They're private concerns interested in making a profit. Given the deplorable ratings of the WNBA, for example, why would the NBA bring in a woman who would be, at best, a marginal contributor to a team, when it can bring in a man who would at least give them a viable option off the bench? Should the team just seek the novelty value of the woman in lieu of the competitive advantage? And what does it do for the female player?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

why do you suggest a woman can be a marginal contributor? I don't understand.. I have seen some women kick some ass in almost any sport.. I grew up playing football with my male cousins and their best friends.. I am by no means a girlie girl when it comes to that.. I will tackle and plow into a man given half a chance... but only when playing games.. otherwise I prefer to be soft and feminine... LOL.. no seriously.. I think there are women out there who can compete against and with men.. and if they are able to do so... let em...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Causingtrouble's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For doing a good job! - BlueSapphire all my lingerie :) - JerseyGirl Enjoy! - BlueSapphire A box full of thank you - JerseyGirl Happy Monday. :) - SpoiledBrat 
    Merry Christmas CT and know that you are appreciated for your hard work! - princesspink Merry Christmas and Happy New Year - JerseyGirl gave an apple not a gift :)  Merry Christmas again - JerseyGirl there ya go :) - pvtdancer Thought I'd share..... - Lacee 
    My turn to buy the drinks, boss - junkmail We need popcorn to go with those beers! - Beauty Hoping you can relax a bit this weekend! - SpecialK I felt like sharing! - Lacee Thanks for all your help! - Lacee 
    lots of goodies for my handsome friend - JerseyGirl Lets cuddle - JerseyGirl Happy Birthday dear Mister I hope you have an amazing day! - flashandbang Happy Birthday! - Lacee Happy belated () - Naughty Babe 

No, men and women shouldn't compete against one another in sports. I agree that some women can beat a man in some sports but my opinion is still no.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

why? I am curious... why not? there was the argument about having women onboard aircraft carriers.. now look.. they are there and doing a marvelous job... hell, just women in the military all the way around... you know how often I hear.. this is a man's Navy, women don't belong here... BS... that is crap.. I had to fight to earn that respect that I did have... and I don't understand why we do...

why do you think sports is so different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Ipurr4u View Post
    why do you suggest a woman can be a marginal contributor? I don't understand.. I have seen some women kick some ass in almost any sport.. I grew up playing football with my male cousins and their best friends.. I am by no means a girlie girl when it comes to that.. I will tackle and plow into a man given half a chance... but only when playing games.. otherwise I prefer to be soft and feminine... LOL.. no seriously.. I think there are women out there who can compete against and with men.. and if they are able to do so... let em...

Here's my argument: Take the best woman in whatever professional sport and pit her against the best man. The easiest comparison right now is basketball. Do you think that Candace Parker can hold her own against Lebron? How about Ben Wallace? Keep putting her up against every player on any NBA roster and tell me if you think she can compete equally against him. I think you'll find that, if she's able to compete equally against any NBA player, it will be the last man off the bench.

If there might be an area where they can compete -- and this is where I agree with Cherokee's thesis -- it would be more in sports like golf or tennis, where strength and size isn't as much of an issue. May God forgive me for saying this, but if NASCAR is a sport, perhaps there, too. But in any of the four major sports -- baseball, basketball, football and hockey -- I just don't see a woman being anything more than a marginal player in a man's league, if that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

i guess if it comes down to pure physical strength men would win .thats as long as you are accepting that both sexes are at the top of their game and top physical strength.

now if it comes to just pure ability and talent . there is no reason why the both sexes couldn't play with each other in the same team.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

good point.. and I do agree with you.. however... I am assuming that the teams wouldn't be all male and all female.. I am thinking it is coed.. it is what they have done everywhere else.. why not in sports as well?

an all male against all female would be an unfair match.. physically men are built differently.. no ifs, ands, or buts about it...

so point taken.. you score..