Page 2 of 124 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Romance... Good or Bad?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Ipurr4u View Post
    what type of unrealistic expectations? if you are in an online romance what is unrealistic about it? I would think that you are already committed to one another...

although I agree, being upfront and honest is a good thing.. in any relationship..
    i wasn't saying that online relationships are unrealistic. i was saying that in any relationship, both parties need to be open, honest and communicative so as to avoid unrealistic expectations. without that, both online and in person relationships are going to be rife with unrealistic expectations... and subsequent disappointments by one or both parties.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    For being you, thanks.. - Jewel Happy Valentine's day! - Jewel I'm offering you one now.  : ) Forgive me. - princesspink Because you have such a wonderful one, yourself. - elizabeth Happy St Pat's Day, sweetie! - elizabeth 
    Yours is made of gold () - Naughty Babe For long, summer days in the hammock. - elizabeth So we can toast! - Jewel For being all the things I said earlier! - Jewel Thank you so much ..you have a heart of gold - JerseyGirl 
    I hope you're up and running in no time () - Jewel too far for a hug, share a glass instead? - pvtdancer Just because I want to give you one () - Jewel I poured you one ;) - Jewel Happy holidays! - Jewel 
    It's  what you are to me a Treasure :) - JerseyGirl Because it's sweet, just like you () - Jewel you always make mine skip a beat - JerseyGirl you deserve a medal every day - JerseyGirl because you have touch my heart so deeply - FNC2010 

I will need to come back to this later when I have more time ... will someone please remind me if I should forget ?

Thank you ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    something for late night snack - Causingtrouble Just becasue you need one :-) - Songbird Merry Christmas! - SpecialK 

I have seen some online romances last and I have seen some fail.. so give me your opinion.. are they good or bad.. and what makes them good or bad..
    What makes it good or bad are the people in the relationship...the jury is still out on this one for me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Not sure if they are good or bad. I think its what you make of them.

----------
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

don't believe that they work overall.. I think the ones that do are rare..
    Or either truly soul mates or best friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Hmmm...what a very interesting topic. I think it is best for me to abstain at this point, but I will say that many of the points raised and made are quite valid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

you disappoint me segis.. I was hoping to hear how wonderful it was... you know my views...

I don't believe online romances really work out.. I think someone is always lying to the other.. or they think they want something then back out when it gets too deep..

you are an exception to my rule.. you have worked very hard on yours..

Flirt in Training
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

My intentions when joining this site were not to get into a relationship ...but to have fun with this site...If meeting someone who I am really into occurs from this site...great!!! I have no problems giving it a try..but if I dont meet someone from this site...oh well !!! not the end of the world... in reality...we all know what kind of person we are looking for with a mate (feels good)...if I or she does not feel the same way with attraction as well as feelings...why pretend...time to move on ...kind of like going out on a first date...you give it a try...if it isnt your cup of tea...why continue to keep dating...the last thing i want to do at my age from what i learned...is get into a relationship of regret...those type of relationships dont work!!!! I do agree if one does get into a serious relationship, it is good to work on that relationship...but if you meet someone and the sparks arent there...what is there to work on?

----------
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

I don't believe online romances really work out.. I think someone is always lying to the other.. or they think they want something then back out when it gets too deep..
    That's not always true hunnie. I can think of a few people that have made online relationships work. Tiger and Cher comes to mind.... I'm sure just as any other couple, they have problems. I don't think everyone lies.

And Tiger and Cher... I was just using you two as an example because I know how long you two have been together. I'm sure there are many more that have worked out and will work out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

you disappoint me segis.. I was hoping to hear how wonderful it was... you know my views...

you are an exception to my rule.. you have worked very hard on yours..
    Well, for one, ours is a work in progress and two, it has been incredibly stressful at times. We are more fortunate than most insofar as the physical distance between us is less that what others face and the timing of certain things just fell into place for us. Had those two things not been so, I'm not sure that it would have progressed as far as it has.

To piggyback on what GG said, it can work out, but a lot of things have to fall into place. I think at a bare minimum the couple has to share a willingness to work through problems that other couples, in real life, don't face and there has to be an abiding patience shared by both people. Murphy's Law rules more often than not in these romances, and if either member of the couple isn't willing to work through the obstacles that crop up or isn't willing to be patient until they're resolved, there is no chance for the relationship to survive.

That said, I am incredibly fortunate, and I know it.